The Christmas meal is one of the New Year's Eve traditions expected by many gourmets. We then put the small dishes in the big ones, and we taste exceptional recipes. And to sublimate this festive meal, nothing beats a good bottle of wine. So here are all the tips from the Bern oenologist for making the best food and wine pairings for Christmas .
What wine to serve as a Christmas aperitif?
The festivities always begin with a small gourmet aperitif, where the first bottles of wine are opened. It is then a question of finding the perfect bottle, which will put the guests in the mouth, without saturating the taste buds and spoiling the rest of the meal.
Of course, during festive meals, a bottle of Champagne is a safe bet as an aperitif. But this is also the case for many sparkling wines, such as sparkling wines from Burgundy, Alsace or the Loire Valley.
Also remember to pair your choice of wine with the dishes served. To accompany gingerbread toasts with foie gras or smoked salmon, nothing beats a good Champagne Blanc de Blancs, but you can also turn to a mineral white wine, such as a Chablis or a white Saumur.
The wines that will accompany you during the Christmas meal
Let's sit down to eat, and discover the bottles of wine that will work wonders with your Christmas dishes. If you choose to stick to the tradition, by serving poultry, such as a turkey with chestnuts or a stuffed capon, you can opt for different wines:
- Round and mellow red wines : we tend to want to release our most beautiful bottles at Christmas. However, the grands crus of red wines will not necessarily be appropriate to accompany dry-fleshed poultry. It is better to choose soft and round wines, such as a Burgundy wine, a Côte du Rhône, a red wine from Beaujolais, or even a wine from the Loire;
- Robust white wines : less expected, but just as delicious, robust white wines, such as a Hermitage or a Meursault, will work wonders with your poultry.
If you choose to serve fish at Christmas, you can turn without hesitation to a good dry white wine . And if you want to amaze your guests and delight them, serve a good bottle of rosé wine .
Your choice of wine to accompany the Yule log
After a hearty and tasty meal, finally comes the time for the traditional Yule log. At the end of the meal, you can then serve a wine according to the aromas of the dessert :
- With a log of red fruits: a floral white wine with aromas of exotic fruits;
- With a chocolate log: a sweet red wine , like a Banyuls;
- With a hazelnut log: a sparkling wine , like a Crémant;
- With a citrus log: a syrupy or sweet white wine .
Our best wines for the end of the year celebrations
The wines of Provence are great allies during festive meals. Their freshness is pleasant on the palate, and goes wonderfully with many dishes. Here is our selection of wines for your Christmas meal.
- Ultimate Provence Rosé 2020 - AOP Côtes de Provence: served in its elegant iconic bottle, this rosé wine from Provence seduces with its aromas of exotic fruits and floral notes;
- Sparkling rosé Bern Brut Nature : this sparkling rosé brut wine is perfect as an aperitif. Fresh and mineral, it accompanies smoked salmon or foie gras toast with delight;
- Esprit Méditerranée Rosé 2021 - IGP Méditerranée: fresh and generous, this rosé wine from Provence offers aromas of summer fruits and red fruits that work wonders with aperitifs and Christmas desserts;
- Château de Berne Grande Cuvée Blanc 2016 - AOP Côtes de Provence: this white wine from organic farming has a beautiful intense yellow color and offers gourmet aromas of butter biscuit, dried fruit and milk bread. Its notes of honey are particularly appreciated with foie gras or poultry;
- Château de Berne Grande Cuvée Rosé 2021 - AOP Côtes de Provence: this organic rosé wine surprises with its intensity and lively expression. Its aromas of citrus fruits and vine peach make it a wine of choice to accompany a noble fish.
Christmas is coming and you are looking for the best wines to accompany your festive meal ? The Domaine de Berne and its partners offer you exceptional wines for a perfectly successful food and wine pairing.